Monday, October 16, 2006

Grief - Uninterrupted

I am sitting here tonight, as most nights, after the kids have finally gone to bed, and I take refuge in my bath or my bed, trying to be as quiet as I can. I cry, as I do most nights (in some weird way, I look forward to this). I know intellectually that my hope is in the Lord, He is sufficient, Daddy is in the presence of God, enjoying the very first fruits of his reward. But the pain is unbearable, and it comes out at night. It lurks through the busyness of the day, patient but present. I feel it always, but can push it aside when work, kids, Rachel's wedding, husband, house and church press in to a welcome distraction of comfortable chaos. But when all else ceases, the house has settled down, stores are closed and I can't escape any more, the grief presses in. I miss him soooo much! His laugh, energy, drive, enthusiasm, expectation ... you all knew him. Dad was big in every way ... he filled a room, a house, a life. He filled my life with so much security and happiness. The hole is so immense ... sometimes I just fall in. Like tonight. I am looking down the barrel of the rest of my life without the imposing force of my Dad. BLEAK! I'm floundering here. C.S. Lewis said that no one ever told him that grief felt so much like fear. That was so profoundly true in the days and weeks following Dad's death. But now that has morphed into a yawning chasm of longing, hurting, missing, fearing the loss of the finer aspects of my memories of him. The angle of his hands, how it felt to hold them... the lines on his face and how he looked at different angles ... the sound of his whistle around the house when he did the laundry, dishes, worked in the garage, whatever ... hearing his beautiful bass in church when I was standing near him and hearing that wonderful voice totally mess up the words to most of the songs (it sounded great anyway) ... the timbre of his voice; the smell of Mennen skin bracer, Vitalis hairspray, and Chapstick (I cry every time I use Chapstick); picking up the phone to call him when I don't know what else to do; waiting for him to come into town to fix everything that is broken around the house. This time it's me that's broken ... and he isn't here to fix it. I am soooo broken. All the experts say you have to grieve, cry, etc. I am grieving in all the right ways, yet I am so completely broken. There is no fixing this. I can't remember my kids names half the time, forget appointments, don't really care about work or the house. The forgetfullness is the most marked. Maybe it's just early onset dementia! Feels like it. And I cry at the most inopportune times. Grief is like Satan, just waiting for the right moment to pounce. And inevitably the right moment is the most embarrassing one. Shopping helps! For about five minutes. Drinking definitely doesn't help! You know how drinking is supposed to lower inhibitions? Well, it also lowers any resisitance to pain, fear, crying, etc. Not exactly a respite.

I know losing a parent and this whole process is supposed to be part of growing up and maturing, but it is highly overrated! I hate this more than anything I have ever experienced. I just can't see the upside. That's quite a departure for an eternal optimist.

BUT ... praise be to God that my hope is not in this finite life experience! I can declare in faith, but a faith that is confident, that I look forward to the day when I will see the face of both of my fathers, Heavenly and earthly. The interim looks grim to me right now, but that's only because I fail too often to look to the horizon. I hate grief -- but love my God. He'll see me through this too. But I can't help praying "Lord Jesus, come quickly!"

Cari

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sitting in my silent house, 4 hours north of you, but crying with you tonight. Your right, it stinks. I keep the daylight hours busy, but somehow embrace the pain of the night. He's here with me, yet still so far away. I love you.

10/16/2006 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm aching with you guys over here on the west coast... I keep hearing in my head that this isn't something that you bounce back from. I doubt it's the Lord saying that, but I hear it anyway.
It almost overwhelms me, but I feel the Lord pulling me back every time I approach the brink. I guess we just survive this time right?

10/17/2006 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright...I have never felt, nor do I ever want to feel again, pain so deep, so wide, so overwhelming. I don't feel this, but I do proclaim it:

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

2 Corinthains 12:9 "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficent for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'

Philippians 1:23 "I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."

And finally my favorite scripture of all in the Bible:

Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, (THAT'S DAD NOW) let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us.

I love you and I'm praying for you....Tommy

10/19/2006 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, YOU truely are amazing.. I want you to know you also fill the room and house with so much security and joy.... And it makes sense knowing the legacy you've come from...I love you Cari, and I ache for you all deeply as I miss my Grandpa Tom daily along with you..

10/22/2006 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a rough dream last night. Grandpa wasn't even there. But all of us were. And for whatever reason, we were having to re-bury Grandpa and go through the whole process again. I just flat out couldn't do it. I know all of you couldn't as well.

I miss Grandpa so much. I was doing fine the other day, typing a paper or something when I wrote the date, and realized it had been 2 months. The paper didn't get written.

This sucks. But we are in it together. See all of you at Rachel's wedding, where after we cry for a few minutes I'm sure, we will celebrate. And dance. Grandpa loved it when we did that.

10/23/2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. It's 9:00 in the morning, and I think today may be one of those days when I can't push the grief away. It's foggy outside this morning; you can't see beyond the railing of the deck. I'm in this fog, unable to see or feel the sun.

I accidentally wandered into the downstairs closet yesterday where I found myself with my face buried in a grubby leather jacket. I checked the pocket for a random nail or chapstick, but I should have known better. He'd never leave stuff in his pockets!

Here is the scripture that's holding me up these days:

On the day I called you, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased. Psalm 138:3

I'm calling on the Lord today.

I love you all so much.

10/24/2006 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I sit here tonight just having read Fresh Bread (and that sending me to the blog), I know now why Cari has been so heavily on my heart. We will grieve for many days, and weeks and months, but we always remember that we are not like those who have no hope. Our hope remains confident in our precious Lord and Savior who, knowing all, knew it was time for our precious father to be taken to his eternal home. I do not feel we will remotely begin to understand this on this side of eternity.
I am numb. I have built up my walls of defense to get me through each day and to take care of my amazing grandson, but I have moments that my walls come crashing down and I must give in to the pain. It feels good in a very painful way. I see bits of Tom that are coming out more and more in my husband and son and that puts a smile on my face as I realize this is the passing down of the blessing. Yes, we'd rather have Tom here in the flesh, but ultimately we will see him again. For now, it brings me great joy to see him in my boys!
I love you all so much. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful family where friendship abounds and love is poured out. I miss you all and look forward to seeing you in Houston in a few weeks.

10/24/2006 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, Cari...

I'm so far away and yet it washes over me time and time again. I have Tom's picture with the sunset in the background and my mind STILL won't let me believe that he's not in Texas. If I even think about it I break down, (yes, even now while I'm writing this) and once, I too, ran across a chapstick and my heart lurched. I just HAD to smell it! It almost did me in...

But in another way, he is with me each day as I clean this hotel. I've been elevated to a kind've supervisory position because of my knowledge of how to "fix things" and because of the best "time management" I use for getting things done. So, I quietly go about my duties with Tom right there with me showing me the best way to do this or that odd job and thanking him, because his memory is what pushes me into doing the best that I can with what I've been given.

I don't know when this grief will fade, it took so long when Mams left me...

But I think of everyone and know that each of you are going through the same hard thing in your own way and it helps knowing that even in this, because of Tom, we're still experiencing things together.

And that's the way he would have it...

I love you, tj

10/26/2006 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, I just read your blog this morning and I could so feel your heart. We lost our dear Mom in April right after Easter and the pain is still so fresh. Mom was in the hospital for 3 months and we always thought she would get better but God called her home and I know we will see her sweet face again. But our life is not as sweet as it was when she walked among us. You can cry in the strangest places and sometimes you just can't stop. You think you're doing pretty good and suddenly it just creeps in and overtakes you. I had to pray so had to get pass the memories of the "hospital days" and to remember all the good years. What a gift Godly parents are and how empty is the spot when they go home. I spent this past weekend with your Mom on a girls trip and we talked about your Dad a lot. He was bigger than life and he left a big empty spot. God will fill it.......but it does not happen overnight and no one is exempt from the grief. I find the griefing sometimes is so welcome and I just need to walk this path. I just wanted you to know that we are praying for your family more than ever because now it's putting feet to faith and somedays it's so hard. We still miss him.
Love & Prayers,
Patricia Russell

11/01/2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home