Tuesday, August 22, 2006

48 WONDERFUL YEARS

Mr. and Mrs. Tom Hardeman
August 22, 1958

Toms Wife

When I was young and very green, he seemed a prize to claim.
Amazing grace, he noticed me, and like a moth to flame,
I fluttered 'round, his magnet drew me ever closer, 'til,
Our hearts were knit; we surely knew 'twas ever meant that life
Would bring us to the altar rail and I'd become Tom's wife.
How proud to claim that title dear, it meant the world to me.
I held his arm and circled near; he shared his life with me.
We traveled happily through time, the babies came, he filled my life.
As he began life's stair to climb, his stature grew without much strife.
My world secure, my heart sublime, I was content to be Tom's wife.
As children grew, and I explored a life removed from my safe shelf,
I questioned; then sometimes implored, am I someone just by myself?
I stepped out shakily to find a place to use my rusty mind.
It was such fun, but, scary too, to find a realm where I was queen.
He just looked on and smiled with rue, and shared the limelight spot with me.
But even as my world grew large we always kept the view
of what God planned and who's in charge and let Him do what He would do.
And as my feeble star ascended, we felt our hearts unite.
His manner never condescended, for underneath, not out of sight
was truth which never ended; He was secure, I would forever be Tom's wife.
Time has moved on, the world has turned; our halo's silver gray.
With family grown, some lessions learned, one thing has never moved away.
The joyful surge, the heart turned light, when first he turned to say;
I love you dear, come share my plight, and I said right away
My answers clear, this is so right, for I was born to be Tom's wife.
There's just one thing, just one thing more, that seems to bother me.
It seems that on that heavenly shore, our home for all eternity,
That God has planned, or so He said, we'll nether male nor female be.
Does this seem strange, can it be right? I must admit some stress and strife.
For heav'n to be endless delight, I surely will still be Tom's wife.
Eileen Hardeman
1999

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom's Wife, Aileen...
What a beautiful poem who have written as Tom's wonderful wife. You spoke from your heart. You have a way with words that makes one fully understand what it meantto you to be Tom's Wife. You wrote it sometime ago but how fitting it was to read at the celebration of Tom's life. Our blessings and prayer will alway be in our hearts for you and your family. Love, Tina and Ralf Leal, Yuma, AZ

8/27/2006 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home