Saturday, January 06, 2007

Holiday Survival

Wow, what a couple of months. Rachel got married November 4 and it was a wonderful, bittersweet affair. Then we had Thanksgiving here in Houston and Mom went to Oregon for about a month. Mom hibernated in her subterranean hideout (a.k.a. basement apartment) over Thanksgiving. Kristin ventured down there to keep her company every now and then. It was a tough Thanksgiving for her and the reality that surviving the holidays just means we come up for air only to realize that we have to survive the rest of our lives. There is no relief on the other side of our survival. She flew back to Dallas a few days before coming to Houston for Christmas. We left on Christmas Eve for a Christmas cruise on Carnival for 7 days. We went to Jamaica (man), Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The cruise was fun, but depression hit quickly on the heels of our desperate attempt at holiday cheer. It was so "un-Christmas", which is what we were striving for. But our hope lies in the message of Christmas and we lost the essence of that in our endeavor to escape the pain of the loss of our deeply cherished holiday traditions. We'll try to achieve a better balance next year. In the mean time, my family is so glad I've emerged from my funk and finally took a bath after three or four days (ooooooh!). I still haven't put on make-up or anything other than sweats, but we do what we can.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shalom Cari!

I totally understand how you feel! When I heard that you all were going on a cruise to get through Christmas, I was thinking, oh man, it's just not the same...

Can we change the way we've always done things? The relief and comfort is found in the familiar, even if it's incomplete. How did we get through without Mams? How will we get through without Tom?

What keeps me going here is holding on to whatever I find familiar as I'm surrounded by a totally different way of doing things. And the best place for me lately has been the familiar comfort of the Scriptures. They're the same as they've always been and always will be. The same reliable rock in our now different and questionable world...

What a comfort...

When I open my Bible now, I'm reading the same things as I did when our family was complete. It's a little bit of home and sameness every day. (I also get that same feeling when I put on my Barefoot Dreams bathrobe. Go figure ;-)

Our family tradition at Christmas is what will eventually give comfort, because it will bring Tom back to us in the most special way...

Love you, Cari. tj

1/13/2007 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS:

Thanks for continuing the blog...

It's the only connection I have with what's going on with you guys and I appreciate knowing where you all are AT, ifyouknowwhatimean...

I DO know how difficult it is to try to express the enormity of your emotions and yourself, in the cold, virtual world that is email.

Feel free to purge anytime, you're safe with us ;-)

I love you and pray for you often. tj

1/13/2007 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be comforted and emboldened in your faith. God has gifts for you and in quantities you never dreamed. He has gifts of PEACE, strength, joy, fulfillment, and a sense of significance in life that will draw you out of bed each morning like a magnet.

Moments with Majesty (Jack Hayford)
January 10

Thought this might help today.

Tom

1/19/2007 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home